This module has adopted a peer teaching approach on various topics involving communications. At the start of the module, I felf uncomfortable as there seems to lack direction in such a settings. However, such fear was proven to be invalid as Ms Fazilah and the other students in the class has put in a lot of effort in facilitating discussions. The roles that a facilitator plays is therefore the key to success in such this module. As such, I have learnt about the various skills invoved in being a facilitator. First of all, a facilitator has to be able to take a step back when necessary in order to allow the group to run their discussions. This is very challenging since a facilitator has to know when to take a step back and when to take a step forward in directing people. I have however observed how Ms Fazilah and the class facilitate discussions and learnt from it. Often in a group discussion, members may have differing opinions and may be eager to voice out their own views without listening to what others have to say first. This is detrimental to the generation of new and better ideas. At times, group members who are aware of such situations will take on the role as facilitators and ease the process of discussions. This often requires practices. However, I am glad that my team and I has understood the various topics of this module and put these communication skills to practice in our daily life.
In addition, I have also learnt about various skills that will enhance my employability in the future, such as writing a resume and cover letter, interviewing skills etc. The main reason for me to take on this module is to learn the various skills involved in seeking employment. I have seen news reports on how military personnel have trouble in their career transition and is indeed a case of concern for me. Not to say that I am transiting to another career, but I see these communication skills as important skills that each and every adults should possess in this society.
With that I would like to thank our class, in particular Ms Fazilah and my group for making my learning process a wonderful and enriching one. Good Day.
Hi Jun Han
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Ms Fazilah class as well, as unlike the usual teacher-centered classrooms: teachers talked, students listened, except when called on to ask or answer questions about what the teacher had said, we can take and share "ownership" for our own learning. Also, i have to agree that peer teaching allow us to the master of that topic and I still remember how our group managed to effectively answer the audiences' question.
Finally, I would to like add on that it is nice working with Rayston, Clsandra and you as I believe even though we were always the first few groups to present during this sememester, I am proud to say we always live up to the standard.
Hi Jun Han,
ReplyDeleteI’ve noticed that everyone (all that I’ve read so far) has touched on different topics for their final post. For example, you have touched on the role of being a good facilitator in this reflection. I am fully with you on this point.
The role of a facilitator is highly essential, especially in communication modules. A moderator has to step in at times to ensure that everyone gets an equal chance at participation. Madam Fazilah has fit in the role quite nicely, although there would be the occasional moments in which she would also participate in the discussion and became too engrossed in it. She has even take notice of the “shy” students in the class by offering them a last chance at bringing up questions. I have noticed that she would always try to end every discussion by calling for any last questions from the ground. That’s being very thoughtful and we should learn from her in this aspect.
Admittedly, the presence of your group has helped in developing an interactive atmosphere. You, Rayston and Andy were always very participating during class discussions and almost always spark off the discussion by contributing the first comments. I feel such action should be encouraged since most of the classes I’ve been to often lacked such enthusiastic individuals. Your group has also been very considerate by being punctual for every lesson despite the fact that your previous lessons were at science side. Lastly, kudos to your team for the thoughtful and analytical inputs during class discussions.
Good luck for you anac exams, :)
Jie Yang
Hi Jun Han!
ReplyDeleteI defeinitely agree with you that the skills of writing a cover letter, resume etc would come in handy in the near future. Since i have graduated from JC, i have always wanted prepare my resume letter in serach for a temporary jobs before my uni admission. However, without much trouble, i managed to get hold of a job at my Godmother's company which did not require any interview or any means to get me a temp job. So since then, i have procrastinated in writing a resume letter.
So this time round its different. Since it was to be graded, i really sat down and thought about what i can add. In a sense, this module actually pushed me further and got rid of my procrastination. In fact, since i am pretty interested in teaching in the future, i might just reuse the same resume and cover letter with slight modifications!
Hi Jun Han,
ReplyDeleteI like how you chose a different approach when it came to tackling this last blog post. Most of us would probably have talked about what we have learnt but you chose to talk about how we learnt. I do agree that I initially faced the same level of unease with you when I learnt that this course focussed heavily on peer teaching but I am glad that everyone did put in effort to share with us different ways in which a lesson can be delivered.