Sunday, 4 March 2012

My Encounter of Intercultural Behaviour



Last year, I had a hall mate from Germany whom I always hang out with. Initially, we had difficulty communicating with each other due to culture differences. There was once when he offered me some snacks where he brought from Vivocity. As I was about to go for a run, I rejected his offer. Subsequently, he told me that it is rude to reject someone for the food that they offered in his home country. My first reaction was "Oops.Sorry man". In this case, it was apparent that he understood our culture in Singapore.




Also, he will always say "How you doing man?!" everytime he see me in my room. For the first few weeks, I really could not find a more suitable answer than "I'm fine!". However, only after a certain period of time that I realised that it is his way of saying "Hi" in our context.




Through these interactions with him, I have learnt about the culture in his country. At the same time, I have managed to impart some of the cultures about Singapore to him. In this process, we too had conflicts due to culture differences. However, we have learnt to be frank to one another and compromised in a conflict if there is a need to. That had allowed both of us to communicate effectively without the fear of being judged. At the same time, we had created an environment that is conducive for learning about one another.




Very soon I will be going to Canada for an exchange programme. While the culture may differ from that of Germany, I believe that my previous encounter with my German hall mate will give me the self-efficacy to deal with similar situations in Canada.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jun Han

    How are you? I have also noticed that Singaporean tend to answer this question with "i'm fine". Perhaps, we can reply this question with more interesting reply like "It is just another sunny day in Singapore.."

    Also, the conflict that you mentioned can be lessen if there is a mediator who is familiar with both cultures can be helpful in such cross-cultural communication situations, and diffuse any conflicts. They can translate both the substance and the manner of what is being said. For instance, they can tone down strong statements that would be considered appropriate in one culture but not in another, before they are given to people from a culture that does not talk together in such a strong way. He/she who understands this can explain the problem, and make appropriate procedural adjustments.

    http://www.only-effective-communication-skills.com/cross-cultural-communication-skills.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jun Han!

    Thanks for the interesting story. However i doubt your German friend too it to heart that u rejected his snacks just before the jog. Im sure he would have mentally prepared himself for the Singapore culture and responses of Singaporean students. You could have offered him a snack another day or smth as a way of apology maybe?? But he's probably back in Germany right. I feel that your experience with your German friend can only help you to a small extent when you go over to Canada for SEP. No doubt they are both caucasian countries but they do differ too k. Just like how the Japanese and us are so different in cultures although we are Asians. I feel you should research on Canada cultures, speech and gestures that they use before you fly over next sem. I mean, it better to always be prepared than none!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jun Han!

    How do you translate your encounter with your German hall mate into being more self-efficient in Canada? Shouldn't it be more of relating your past experiences and applying them to the proper context whilst being there?

    I think to improve on your encounter with him, you could have explained that you were going for a run and perhaps join him for the snack later when you're back in the hall as it was inconvenient for you then to take it from him.

    Certainly, it is important that we are all aware of the intercultural differences they present themselves to us in our everyday lives. This is all about being street-smart and possessing EQ. Without them, conflicts may arise from our insensitivity.

    ReplyDelete